Shape note singing is one of America’s oldest musical and social gathering activities. All are welcome to sing, regardless of experience or ability. Portland Sacred Harp events do not have any membership requirements or religious or political affiliations. Come as you are and sing for yourself!
Double All-day Weekend: April 28-May 1, 2016
View the Flier.
- Thursday night: Regular singing 7-9 p.m. from the Denson book, 5736 NE 33rd Ave.
- Friday night: Social at Thom’s House, 4046 N Gantenbein Ave. 4-11 p.m. There will be some light food and beverages provided. Bring your Dailey, Cooper, and Shenandoah books. We can sing if we want to.
- Saturday: Singing 9-3 p.m. from the Denson book, 5138 NE 23rd Ave.
- Saturday night: Social at Brad’s house, 804 NE 68th Ave. 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday: Seven-shape singing 9-3 p.m. from the Christian Harmony, 5138 NE 23rd Ave.
OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS IN 2016
- Saturday, June 18: Mt. Adams All-Day, Trout Lake Grange 210, Trout Lake, WA
- Saturday, September 10: Cape Meares All-day, 5690 4th Street NW, Tillamook, OR
- Weekend of October 15-16: Pacific Northwest Convention – Oregon Session, 3721 SE Ankeny St.
Learn ABOUT THE TRADITION
“It was a strange sound, raw and wild and hoary, yet at the same time, familiar somehow – a great, aching lamentation that stopped people walking by in the hallway outside cold. It was as if voices from a previous century had started speaking again.” The Oregonian
“…six times better than a night at Chopsticks,” “way more raw and rustic than gospel,” and a “mind-bogglingly beautiful music style.” The Portland Mercury
“‘…penetrating sound that gets under your skin…that primal scream of music that is Sacred Harp singing at its best.” The Willamette Week
Oh, AND did we mention the FOOD?
Our potlucks were praised in The Oregonian’s “Food Day”: Read the short and sweet article.
Short list of local resources
- Sign up to get on the email discussion list.
- What’s Going On Here? A two-page introduction to sacred harp singing.
- Quartersheets: A bookmark, cheat sheet, and schedule of all our monthly singings.
- Email sign-up sheet: Sign up sheet for the monthly announcement of local singings and events. You can also sign up online.
- PoSH Facebook page: If you’re on Facebook, it’s a good way to keep in touch with other singers and the PoSH group.
- Most important resource? Other singers. Ask them questions. At singings, sit up front next to someone who knows what they’re doing – they were beginners not too long ago and will be happy to help.
Longer list about everything sacred harp
A four-page selection of links from around the world — includes sections on: Tradition and culture, singing fundamentals and good habits, how to find songs you’ve sung, how to find and learn new songs, leading, conventions and all-day singings, dinner on the grounds, connecting to the international community, Camp Fasola, teaching, arranging, keying, composing, and recording singings.